Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

One Year Later... Our Beginnings and A Few 'Friends' To Mention

I am sure that you are all aware that Girls Like F1 Too is on Twitter and Facebook, Time for a bit of a story of how we got to where we are now....

A little while ago, on March 14th 2010, there was a race.  You may have heard of it, the Bahrain Grand Prix? Being a second generation F1 fan, I had been enjoying my Sunday mornings watching the races and, well, there were press releases leading up to it about a certain team making a long awaited appearance back in the pits with a slightly different name
 Lotus Racing. There were also memos indicating that there was a ban on refuelling during the race. Not seen since 1993, and this peaked my interest.  Sunday came and I sat down in front of the telly with fingers at the ready to type in all my thoughts on the race.  Two hours later, I took a look down and decided to fill out the short hand into full sentences and Girls Like F1 Too (GLF1T) was born.

Jump ahead a year later and here we are. Facebook fan page a blaze with updates on all aspects of the sport, the blog (now written almost daily) and a new discovery of Twitter. It's grown from one Canadian writer to three women holding full time jobs outside the F1 world, spread out across the world. Samantha (Sam) from Canada, Linda from Australia and Liz from Belgium. A power house team.

This is where the story gets interesting. With the discovery of Twitter, the F1 world has begun to shrink.

Taking a look at the sport, there are 12 teams, 24 drivers and hundreds, if not thousands of employees and what we have discovered is that some are more.... forthcoming than others *DT*.  Never really keeping track of comments or even being one to save emails / messages, I have noticed, more like remembered a trend.  Out of all the people, teams and employees in the paddock / factory online, Marussia Virgin Racing is the team that responds..

What I mean is on Twitter, MVR and all of it's employees (including the drivers) are so ready to interact with the fans and bloggers. Don't get me wrong... Have chatted with other team's employees but MVR has been the friendliest and most interactive. 

Not to mention name here but chatted, although brief in some cases, with people at MVR from a driver to an engineer all the way to Finance Director.  It was not as if I went looking to chat with their employees or spoke to them in a interview setting, it was more like meeting a stranger at the airport and striking up a conversation to pass the time.

Now the people that know me, know that I am a big Red Bull and Lotus fan (Team Lotus), but something really struck me about MVR....

Tweeted some fun trivia and noticed that MVR Official Team online, for fun sent them a tweet and got a tweet back... Exchanged a few tweets and it came to pass that I told them that I was from Canada.  A few days or weeks later, exchanged tweets again with the team and they vaguely remembered that I was from Canada.  They must exchange tweets all the time but for an F1 team remembered something so simple....

No comments:

Post a Comment